Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday, Day 10

I dropped in on Christi at about 1:00 today. I had called before I left the house, so she was awake sitting on the edge of the bed when I arrived. If it wasn't for the sores that line her throat and mouth, I think she would be feeling a little better today. She is only able to talk at a very light whisper, and it's painful, so she communicated by writing on a note pad. This is the seventh day since she has had any food or drink by mouth. She is able to take small sips of water, but she can't swallow it. She can only sip to wet her mouth, but then has to remove the water from her mouth with a suction tube. The soars are very painful, but she now controls her pain medication by pressing a button. The pain drug is a strong narcotic that knocks her out and affects her memory. One of her doctors told a nurse that he expected the sores to gradually improve over the next few days, and he hopes she can start taking small sips of water in about four days.

She is frustrated that she can't remember what day it is, or have any concept of time. She knows it's the drugs causing all this, but it's still frustrating. I told Christi to keep her thumb on the pain button, and just sleep off the next few days, and I think that's her plan... sleep for four days and wake up to a big gulp of cold water.

Gary Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment