Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 13 after transplant

I arrived from Oklahoma City about 1 PM today and found Christi battling her mucousitis with the suctioner. It consumed her most of the day, and it makes communication difficult but she can write her requests and sometimes clears her throat enough to say a couple of words. I climbed in bed with her and we prayed. I sang some praise choruses and just enjoyed cuddling. We have all been hesitant to get too close to Christi for fear of spreading germs, but I did have on my mask and gloves. Gary came up this evening and brought some cards from the 7th grade class of one of Penny's teacher friends. Gary and I took turns reading them to her and showing her the artwork on each one. Then, I hung the cards on the wall and they seemed to give a little brightness to the room.
Today, we got a little good news as we learned that she finally has a count of lymphocytes for the first time in a week and a half. The number is 8 and is an indicator that the stem cells are getting ready to produce white blood cells. Hopefully, we will see the numbers grow by tomorrow. When the white blood cells arrive, they will begin to heal her mouth, throat, etc. In the meantime, we hope she will just be able to sleep and be comfortable.

Marianna

3 comments:

  1. Praying for those white blood cells. Love, gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, know that I am driving Marcia crazy calling when there isn't one posted. It really helps to zone in on the prayer! Know that you are all close to our hearts and constantly in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, It's About Time is me, Susan!

    ReplyDelete